Relationship Violence & Sexual Misconduct

The most up-to-date information about getting help for relationship violence and sexual misconduct can be found on the Office of Institutional Equity’s website.

The Gender and Sexuality Campus Center is a private resource. GSCC staff can talk to a student or employee about an incident of relationship violence, stalking, or sexual misconduct without triggering the need to report personally identifiable information about the incident to OIE. Disclosure to one of the offices listed above does not constitute a report or notice to the University. The privacy afforded tothese offices is based in policy and not law. Therefore, individuals should recognize that, while the University considers conversations with these offices to be private, disclosure of some information may be required pursuant to a search warrant, subpoena, or statute, and may not be legally confidential.

Where can I talk to someone confidentially?

If you would like to speak with someone confidentially about your reporting options or experience, please contact one of the following resources on campus:

MSU Counseling Center (provides a full range of counseling and support group services to MSU students)
Olin 3rd Floor
(507) 355-8270

MSU Center for Survivors (provides counseling and support groups to MSU students; a 24-hour hotline and advocacy services are offered to anyone in the greater Lansing community)
14 Student Services Building
(517) 355-3551 (office)
(517) 372-6666 (24 hour crisis line)

MSU Safe Place (provides advocacy, emergency shelter, counseling, support groups, safety planning, information and referrals to survivors of violence and their minor children; all support services are free and confidential)
(517) 355-1100

Student Health Services 
(517) 353-4660

MSU Employee Assistance Program (provides emotional assistance to employees and their families as they attempt to work through life changes, expected and unexpected events, chronic physical and emotional health issues, and work/life balance concerns; services are free and confidential)
330 Olin Health Center
(517) 355-4506

University Ombudsperson (the University Ombudsperson also helps staff members, instructors and administrators sort through university rules and regulations that might apply to specific student issues and concerns)
North Kedzie Hall, Room 129
(517) 353-8830

Where can I file a report?

If you have experienced sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking, or would like to make a report to help a friend or colleague, you can contact:

Office for Institutional Equity
4 Olds Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517) 353-3922

MSU Police
1120 Red Cedar Road
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517) 355-2221